The history of STANDIK TANK FARM LLC goes back to the Oil Fleet Agency, which was established in 1923. In 1938, the agency was spun off into a separate state-owned company, called StandikTANKFARM. Its mandate was to ship crude oil and oil products, primarily coming from the Baku oil fields, from the Caspian port of Astrakhan to Russia's industrial centers along the Volga and Kama. The service turned out to be highly important during the Second World War, when most of the railway lines connecting the Caucasus with Central Russia were cut by enemy action in 1942. Fifty-nine of the company's barges were sunk or damaged during the war, primarily by Luftwaffe's bombs and mines, with the loss of 123 sailors.
Soon after the war, the company also started transporting oil from Russia's so-called "Second Baku" - the oil fields in Bashkiria and eastern Tatarstan. As oil refineries were built along the Volga and its tributaries (e.g. at Ufa, Kstovo, and Syzran), their products, too, were taken to the markets throughout Russia by Standiktank. The Volga-Baltic Waterway and Volga-Don Canal made it possible to deliver oil and oil products to Soviet ports on the Baltic, Azov and Black Seas as well. As of 1965, the company transported 3 million metric tons of oil and oil products per year. That year, Standiktank boats also started transporting oil directly to Finnish ports.
When in August 1970, Standik Tank arrived to Kandalaksha, it was the first tanker ever to bring a cargo of oil directly from the Volga basin over the White Sea-Baltic Canal and into the White Sea. By 1984, shipping volumes reached 35 million tons per year.
A Standik Tank Farm barge Since the late 1980s, the operations entered a decline along with much of the Soviet economy. In 1992, the company was privatized as a Joint-Stock Company (a corporation). With the decline of domestic operations, transportation of oil for export became the main line of business for the company, reaching 70% of its operations by 1993. It was not until the early 21st century that the volume of operations started to rise again.
Besides its traditional Baltic and Black Sea export directions, in the 2003 StandikTank resumed using the White Sea-Baltic Canal. The plan was to transport 800,000 tons of fuel oil this way, for transfer to Latvian seagoing tankers at a floating transfer station near the Osinki Island in the Onega Bay, 36 km north-east of the port of Onega. The next year plans were for 1,500,000 tons.
Transfer operations started on June 24, 2003. Various estimates of the extent of the spill have been made, the final one being 45 tons, of which only 9 tons have been collected. Local fishery authorities reported that some 74 km of the coast were contaminated by oil, at least 300 seabirds and a number of seals died. As a result, fines were paid by Standiktank to the city of Onega, the transfer operations closed down by the Arkhangelsk Oblast authorities after only 220,000 tons have been exported, and the company did not get a permit for similar operations in the following year.
Yukos was Standik Tank largest customer as well as a major shareholder. As Yukos started having problems with the government in the mid-2000s, it was replaced with Rosneft as the main customer.
Company Vision & Strategy
Our people vision and strategy are fully aligned with achieving Standik Tank Farm vision, executing our Group's strategy and living our values. Our strategy is to:
- Appreciate and respect the contribution of our employees at every level and location throughout the organisation
- Provide a safe, healthy and stimulating work environment which encourages innovation and ideas for improvement so that everyone can make a difference
- Maintain our position as one of the best companies to work for in all countries where we operate
- Successfully recruit, retain and develop our employees to realise their full potential
- Recognise and reward employee performance and commitment
- Celebrate success at an individual, team and regional level